Thursday, March 4, 2021

Antidote to Fear

 This sermon uses several passages from the Bible to address fear stemming from various circumstances and attempts to remind listeners that God has provided grace and assurance sufficient to remove our fears and give us confidence and victory in each situation. A video recording of the worship service in which this sermon was given can be viewed by clicking here. (Note: The video also includes a 13+ minute video segment that was shown to the congregation immediately prior to the sermon. It contains a message by a catholic priest speaking out against abortion and politicians who promote abortion.)

Written Excerpts:

Matthew 10:31 (NKJV) Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Introduction:

Many, many years ago I read a little joke about a preacher who was walking down the sidewalk one day and met a young boy. He stopped, and after greeting the boy he leaned over and asked, “Are you afraid of the Devil?”

The little boy responded, “I wouldn’t be afraid of a little devil like me, but I sure would be afraid of a big devil like you!”

One of our Facebook friends shared this short proverb about fear: Fear does not stop death. It stops life. And worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles. It takes away today’s peace.

FDR: “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

There sure seems to be plenty of fear to go around these days doesn’t it? The Scripture that was read a little earlier had this verse included: “Do not fear, therefore. You are of more value than many sparrows.”

I suppose that many of you have already noticed that phrases such as, “Do not fear,” or “fear not,” or “do not be afraid,” appear far too many times in the Bible to even count. I would like to refer to several such passages in order to point out the many ways God is watching over His people and providing their needs, so they need not be overcome with fear.

1. Don’t fear the current struggles.

Genesis 26:24 (KJV) And the LORD appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake.

In this context, Isaac had re-dug some of the wells that had been dug by Abraham, but the herdsmen of that region kept quarreling over the wells, saying it belonged to them. He would move to another spot and dig another well, which would produce more fighting. Finally, he dug a well and there was no fighting, so God met Isaac and gave him this promise, “fear not, for I am with you and I will bless you and multiply your seed for my servant Abraham’s sake.” God is a covenant-keeping God, and he will bring us through our current struggles.

2. Do not be afraid to sacrifice for God.

1 Kings 17:13 (KJV) And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.

You probably remember this story. The woman was going to use her last bit of oil and meal to bake some food and then die of starvation because of the famine. After listening to the words of the prophet, she made a cake for him, then her bin and flour and jar of oil kept refilling until the famine was over.

When we obey the Lord, we can trust Him to provide.

3. Do not fear the enemy hordes.

2 Kings 6:16 (KJV) And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

The servant of Elisha looked out in the morning and saw the Syrian army with soldiers and chariots completely surrounding the city. He cries out in fear to the prophet and the prophet responded with the words of v. 16. The Lord opened the eyes of the servant and he saw the armies of heaven far outnumbering the Syrians.

4. Do not fear the everyday troubles and sorrows of life.

Isaiah 43:1-2 (KJV) But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

God’s people are not exempted from trouble and sorrow and suffering, but God promises to be with us.

5. Do not fear (stress) over daily needs.

Matthew 10:31 (KJV) Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

… of more value than the spotted owl or any other animal that we are told to protect far more often than innocent humans in the womb or suffering persecution for their faith, etc.

Matt. 6 – Seek first the kingdom of God… and all these [other] things shall be added unto you.

6. Do not fear potential persecution.

Revelation 2:10 (KJV) Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

I don’t know about you, but I think I’m a big sissy when it comes to pain and suffering. The thought of persecution is not something I like to dwell on. But Jesus tells His church to fear none of the things that they would suffer. Jesus would provide the grace for them in the time of their need and when it was all over, He would provide the reward. I know I don’t have the grace to face persecution today, but I know I will when it is needed, because God tells me I need not fear.

Conclusion:

Some people may accuse me of advocating sticking our heads in the sand like an ostrich and ignoring the fear-producing problems. But, I’m not advocating “sticking our heads in the sand.” I’m advocating we remember who created the sand and remember He made a multitude of promises to the people who truly love Him and serve Him.

Shirley & Marcy - A mother was concerned about her kindergarten son walking to school. He didn't want his mother to walk with him. She wanted to give him the feeling that he had some independence but yet know that he was safe. So she had an idea of how to handle it.

She asked a neighbor if she would please follow him to school in the mornings, staying at a distance, so he probably wouldn't notice her. The neighbor said that since she was up early with her toddler anyway, it would be a good way for them to get some exercise as well, so she agreed.

The next school day, the neighbor and her little girl set out following behind Timmy as he walked to school with another neighbor girl he knew. She did this for the whole week.

As the two walked and chatted, kicking stones and twigs, Timmy’s little friend noticed the same lady was following them as she seemed to do every day all week. Finally she said to Timmy, “Have you noticed that lady following us to school all week? Do you know her?”

Timmy nonchalantly replied, “Yeah, I know who she is.”

The little girl said, “Well, who is she?”

“That's just Shirley Goodnest,” Timmy replied, “and her daughter Marcy.”

“Shirley Goodnest? Who is she and why is she following us?” She asked.

“Well,” Timmy explained, “Every night my Mom makes me say the 23rd Psalm with my prayers, 'cuz she worries about me so much. And in the Psalm, it says, 'Shirley Goodnest (surely goodness) and Marcy (mercy) shall follow me all the days of my life,' so I guess I'll just have to get used to it!'

Closing Song: Surely Goodness and Mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment