Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Honor Thy Mother



(To listen to this message, click on the play button of the audio player shown above.)

This is a sermon preached on Mother's Day 2012. It is based on the Fifth Commandment in Exodus 20:12 and the words of Jesus in Matthew 15:4, and Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians 6:1-3.

Written Excerpts:

Introduction:
Why do we have Mother’s Day?
Is it really important to have a day that we give an extra effort to honor those who have nurtured us and guided us from birth through childhood and into adulthood? Some would undoubtedly say a resounding, “YES!” Others, of the more skeptical or pessimistic bent, would proclaim, “It’s only another gimmick dreamed up by the greeting card industry and other commercial enterprises to sell more products and make more money.”
Well, I certainly would agree that there are those in our society that have taken advantage of a decent idea, and have reduced it to nothing more than another way to make a dollar. Yet, I for one, believe that it is entirely appropriate for us to set aside a day to give honor to those we affectionately call, “Mom.”
Granted, moms should be honored every day; not just on the second Sunday of May! When God gave Moses the Commandments, and when Jesus reiterated the command, they were not talking about May 13th (or whatever date the special day may fall on). They were talking about a lifestyle of honor.
During the remainder of our time this morning I want to give some insights regarding the Lord’s command to honor our moms.
I. What does it mean to honor someone?
Well, some of you might remember when I did a series of sermons on the Ten Commandments, I shared some of these thoughts back then when I talked about the 5th Commandment.
In the O.T. the Hebrew word “honor” literally means, “make heavy; or to make weighty.” The point was that someone that was “weighty” had influence and respect. We often say that some individuals “carry a lot of weight around here.” We simply mean that they have a lot of influence and are highly respected.
So the command to honor our mothers is a command for us to do everything within our power and ability in order to increase the influence and the respect that our mothers have in the neighborhood and the community. This not only applies while we are growing up and still living at home, but it also applies (perhaps even more so) when we are adults living away from our parents.
The NT word for honor has a different emphasis.
(Wuest) In the Ephesians 6 passage (verse 2), the Greek word that is translated “honor” is a word that literally means: “set a price on,” “estimate,” or “value.”  It literally emphasizes the financial worth or value of something and then figuratively refers to dignity or esteem that one deserves.
(Wuest) “To honor someone therefore is to evaluate that person accurately and honestly, and treat him with the deference, respect, reverence, kindness, courtesy, and obedience which his / her station in life or character demands.”
II. How do we teach our children to honor their mothers?
A. By principles and precepts.
That means by explaining to them the kind of things that I have just explained, and then enforcing it.
Part of the problems in our society today stem from the fact that too many parents have allowed their children to view them as their peers and equals rather than their parents. Too many parents have allowed their children to talk to them and treat them as they would some other kid on the block.
I actually have deep respect and fond memories of my parents who would not put up with any disrespect or sass or backtalk from me when I was growing up. (Although I will admit that my memories are much fonder now than they were back in the day…) Today I am grateful for a father who would not tolerate any kind of talk or behavior that disrespected my mother.
B. By modeling appropriate respect in front of our children.
My observation has been that some children treat their mothers as poorly as they do because they are mimicking the treatment she receives from her husband.
Fathers, if you want your children to grow up knowing how to respect and honor their mothers, then you must model that kind of behavior for them. If you want your children to treat their mom like a lady, then you must do it. Like a queen… like a person of value and dignity… then you must do it too.
C. By treating our children with respect.
I have to acknowledge that a big part of the problem in our society today is that so many parents are treating their children so badly the kids have no respect for the parents and cannot find it in their hearts to give kindness, respect or obedience. I am heart-broken over some of the names that parents call their children; some of the abuse that parents give; etc.
I am here to testify that it is possible for parents to exercise control and discipline without demeaning, abusing or insulting the child and causing them to become bitter. My parents did it, and I believe my wife and I succeeded in doing it, and I know a host of other parents who have done it.
Conclusion:
We have a small gift to give out to each of the mothers that are in the service today. After you receive your gift and return to your seats, I would like to offer a special prayer for all our mothers.
At the end of my prayer I want to read a prayer that was written by a woman especially for all those who do not experience great joy on Mother’s Day because of various reasons – abuse from mothers; mothers are deceased; unable to conceive; have a child that is deceased; etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment