Saturday, January 29, 2011

Why Do I Need to Know God? (39MB)



This is an introductory message in a series of sermons on the attributes of God. This is the first of a ten-part series.

(To download an MP3 file of this message, click on the title above. To listen now online, click on the play button on the audio player shown above.)

Written Excerpts:

I. I need to know God because He wants me to know Him.

Hebrews 1:1-2 "God, who are various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son...."

Other religions are primarily about mankind's attempt to discover God. But biblical Christianity is all about God's attempts to reveal Himself or disclose Himself to mankind in ways that we can understand and respond to Him.

The songwriter wrote: When I could not come to where He was, He came to me. (Squire Parsons)

II. I need to know God because nothing else can keep me humble, expand my horizons and console my soul like the thoughts of God can.

The knowledge of God and the pursuit of it are all at once humbling, stretching and consoling to my heart, my spirit, and my life.

III. I need to properly know God to avoid error in all other facets of life.

In his book, Knowledge of the Holy, A.W. Tozer made the following observations:

A. No people has ever risen above its religion, and... no religion has ever been greater than its idea of God.
B. There is scarcely an error in doctrine or... ethics [practice] that cannot be traced finally to imperfect and ignoble [dishonorable] thoughts about God.
C. Idolatry is essentially assuming that God is other than He actually is.

IV. "I need to know God because an unknown God can neither be trusted, served, nor worshiped." (A.W. Pink)

To understand this point by Arthur Pink, let me put it into more common terms:
Let me introduce you to a complete stranger and then immediately ask you to trust all of your retirement investments with that person to earn your retirement nestegg for you. Would that be okay?

Let me introduce you to a total stranger and then ask you to commit the next 5 years of your life working for that person. Is that all right?

Let me describe the most magnificent musician you will ever hear and then ask you to write a thesis extolling the praises of the performer that you have never had the opportunity to meet or listen to. Would that work?

In the spiritual realm of life we have people making their way to church buildings and worship services all over the world attempting to worship a God they barely even know. It's no wonder that they can hardly generate enough enthusiasm to drag themselves out to what they believe is another meaningless exercise in spiritual futility.

When one barely possesses any knowledge of God and an equally small amount of desire for God, almost anything else that the world has to offer seems to be a better option than worshiping God in His sanctuary.

Conclusion:
I do not merely want God for the things that He can do for me or provide for me. I want Him. I don't just want to see a display of His power, I want His sweet presence. I do not merely want to know about Him, I want to truly know Him.

Dr. James I. Packer, in his book Knowing God, provides insight on how one can take the knowledge about God and turn it into the knowledge of God. He said to take the knowledge we learn about God and use it as matter for meditation before God followed by worship to God.

As I learn about the qualities of God's nature I can use what I have learned to meditate on all the various ramifications and applications of each quality. After having done that I then turn my thoughts into a conversation of praise directly to God adoring and worshiping Him for who He is.

The next sermon in this series is: We Worship the Triune God http://waysidepastor.blogspot.com/2011/01/we-worship-triune-god-33mb.html

No comments:

Post a Comment