Friday, September 28, 2018

Myths and Mysteries - Happiness

(Due to technical problems, there is no audio recording of this sermon.)

This message is part one of a mini series of sermons on misconceptions that Christians have about the teaching of the Bible. This sermon speaks about the "myth" that many Christians believe, which goes like this: “God wants His children to be happy, so whatever makes me happy must be His will for me.”

Written Excerpts:


Psalm 1:1-2 (NKJV) Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.

Introduction:
Several weeks ago I preached a sermon on suffering and I remember telling you that some people are very troubled or puzzled by the suffering that God’s children go through at times. It almost seems like some have the mistaken idea that suffering is a sign that I’m being punished for something I did wrong, and if I haven’t done anything wrong, then it is unfair for me or other good people to suffer. I referred to this type of thinking back then as a “Christian Myth.” That is, an idea that has no basis in biblical truth, but is still believed by many professing Christians.
I also remember saying that I had done a short series of Bible study lessons on Wednesday evenings some time ago on the theme of “Christian Myths,” and I may adapt them into a sermon series. I felt the Lord leading me to begin this study today.
Today we are going to consider another one of the “myths” that is relatively common among believers, as well as non-believers. I would describe the myth like this: “God wants His children to be happy, so whatever makes me happy must be His will for me.”
(Draper's Book of Quotations) The doctrine of man's inalienable right to happiness is anti-God and anti-Christ, and its wide acceptance by society tells us a lot about that same society. – A. W. Tozer
Before we go any further, I should also describe the opposite view, which is also a myth. “God’s will for my life involves anything and everything that makes me miserable.”
Speaking of happiness, I came across several things that I thought might make you chuckle:
(Draper's Book of Quotations for the Christian World)
·     Happiness and intelligence are rarely found in the same person. – William Feather (b. 1889)
·     Men who are unhappy, like men who sleep badly, are always proud of the fact. – Bertrand Arthur William Russell
(Phillips' Treasury of Humorous Quotations)
·     Real happiness doesn't consist so much in what a man [has] as it does in what he doesn't want. — Josh Billings
(Illustrations Unlimited)
·     You should do something every day to make other people happy, even if it's only to leave them alone.
·     Chinese proverb – If you wish to be happy for one hour, get intoxicated. If you wish to be happy for three days, get married. If you wish to be happy for eight days, kill your pig and eat it. If you wish to be happy forever, learn to fish. 
·     A man had just had his annual physical exam and was waiting for the doctor's initial report. After a few minutes the doctor came in with his charts in his hand and said: "There's no reason why you can't live a completely normal life as long as you don't try to enjoy it."
Well, these various quotes have certainly shed some light on the pursuit of happiness haven’t they?
Today I want to speak to you about the mistaken idea that many Christians have expressed in one form or another. That mistaken idea is not supported in Scripture, so that is the main reason it is a “mistaken idea” and therefore is a myth! As I mentioned earlier, the mistaken idea (or myth) that is held by many people is this: “God wants His children to be happy, so whatever makes me happy must be His will for me.”
I.    Two things wrong with this statement.
1.      It proposes that our happiness is God’s highest goal.
When I say, “God wants His children to be happy,” I claim that my happiness and the happiness of all humanity is the highest goal and desire of almighty God. The problem with that view is that it doesn’t measure up with Scripture. The Bible makes it pretty clear that God’s greatest desire for human beings is for us to be in a genuine relationship with Him. In order for that to be possible, we must share His character and His nature.
Dr. John Oswalt – If a person constantly reads the NT in light of the Old, which the Church Fathers clearly intended by their joining of the two in one [collection], then it becomes unmistakably clear what the purpose of the Gospel is. It is the same purpose that God has had from Genesis 4 onwards: the transformation of human behavior in this world with the consequent possibility of living with God through all eternity. The OT shows us what that transformation is, and the NT shows us what God has done to make the transformation possible.
This means that unless Christians are truly transformed into the character of God, the whole purpose of the Church’s existence becomes blurred and confused….
Dr. Steve Herron – God is more concerned with our holiness than either our health or our happiness.
Now, as I stated a few minutes ago, there are some people who think God’s main objective is for us to be miserable. That idea is also a myth.
When we understand the purpose for which God created us, we learn that our main purpose is to know Him and enjoy Him. And, in order to enjoy Him, we must be like Him. If we are going to be like Him, it is us that will have to change. God isn’t going to change so that He can be like us (except to the extent that He already has in the person of Jesus Christ).
2.      It makes happiness the main objective in all our pursuits.
When we say, “Whatever makes me happy is God’s will,” we automatically (even if it is unconsciously) make the pursuit of happiness to be the highest priority of our lives.
Therefore, Happiness has become our god rather than God Himself.
We become obsessed with “What will make me happy today?” The answer to that question becomes our motivation for life. We judge all our actions and pursuits in life by “Does this make me happy?”
Pursuing happiness will inevitably take our eyes and our focus off of Christ.
II.  Two simple but undeniable truths
1.      The pursuit of pleasure (happiness) is bound to end in disappointment.
We were created for a higher purpose, so anything less is certain to produce frustration, discontentment, and even anger. No material possession, no amount of earthly wealth or no extent of sensual pleasure can produce genuine happiness. Why? Because we were made for relationships; first of all, an intimate relationship with God, and secondly, relationships with other people because we are made in God’s image. Genuine happiness (joy) comes through meaningful relationships.
No one knew this any better than the author of Ecclesiastes, whom many people believe was King Solomon.
Ecclesiastes 2:1-11, 17-20 (NKJV) 1 I said in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with mirth [entertainment, merriment]; therefore enjoy pleasure"; but surely, this also was vanity. 2 I said of laughter--"Madness!"; and of mirth, "What does it accomplish?" 3 I searched in my heart how to gratify my flesh with wine, while guiding my heart with wisdom, and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was good for the sons of men to do under heaven all the days of their lives. 4 I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards. 5 I made myself gardens and orchards, and I planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made myself water pools from which to water the growing trees of the grove. 7 I acquired male and female servants, and had servants born in my house. Yes, I had greater possessions of herds and flocks than all who were in Jerusalem before me. 8 I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the special treasures of kings and of the provinces. I acquired male and female singers, the delights of the sons of men, and musical instruments of all kinds. 9 So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. 10 Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, For my heart rejoiced in all my labor; And this was my reward from all my labor. 11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done And on the labor in which I had toiled; And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun. (Then he continues several verses later)
17 Therefore I hated life because the work that was done under the sun was distressing to me, for all is vanity and grasping for the wind. 18 Then I hated all my labor in which I had toiled under the sun, because I must leave it to the man who will come after me. 19 And who knows whether he will be wise or a fool? Yet he will rule over all my labor in which I toiled and in which I have shown myself wise under the sun. This also is vanity. 20 Therefore I turned my heart and despaired of all the labor in which I had toiled under the sun.
Proverbs 21:17 (NKJV) He that loves pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loves wine and oil shall not be rich.
In the Ecclesiastes passage and in the Proverbs Solomon emphasizes the simple fact that pursuit of pleasure and happiness is a vain and worthless pursuit. It doesn't end up well.
2.      The pursuit of God is the fountain of pleasure, happiness and joy.
Hebrews 11:24-26 (NKJV) 24 By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, 25 choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, 26 esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward.
Because of his faith, Moses could easily see that identifying with God and God’s people would ultimately produce more benefit than the “passing pleasures of sin.”
Proverbs 16:20 (NKJV) 20 He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he.
“happy” – same word that is sometimes translated “blessed.” It carries the idea “to be envied.”
Psalm 144:15 (NKJV) 15 Happy are the people who are in such a state; Happy are the people whose God is the LORD!
Psalm 16:8-11 (NKJV) 8 I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope. 10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
You and I can seek out all kinds of activities and pursuits in life to make us happy, but the final analysis is this: God created us for Himself and the only truly lasting joy and happiness to be found is only found in God Himself.
Conclusion:
The title of the message today was, “Myth and Mysteries.”
They Myth is: “God wants me to be happy, so whatever makes me happy is God’s will for me.”
The Mystery is: “Happiness cannot be found by pursuing it.” 
Happiness can only be found in knowing Christ. 
The truth of our message today is the fact that we can pursue happiness and pleasure all our lives and still be unfulfilled, unsatisfied and unhappy. We can fill up our lives and our schedules with earning more money, acquiring more things, pursuing all kinds of recreational events, seeking to satisfy all our fleshly desires, and we can still be miserable. If we haven’t developed an intimate relationship with Jesus, nothing else will be able to fill the void that is left when we don’t have Him.
If you want to be happy… seek to know God; seek an intimate relationship with Christ; seek to be holy like Christ; then you will be “compatible” with the Lord and, knowing Him, your joy will be full. Holiness is happiness, because God is holy.
John Wesley – holiness is loving God with all the heart, soul, mind and strength.
Let us sing a closing song: Joy Unspeakable

No comments:

Post a Comment