Thursday, July 5, 2018

When My Cry Was Heard

(Audio recording of this sermon is not available due to technical difficulties.)

This is a sermon that was given with the purpose of providing encouragement to those who are going through trials and tribulations in their lives. It is based on Ps. 3:4 (NKJV) I cried to the LORD with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill.

Written Excerpts:

Introduction: I’m sure I don’t need to ask if anyone here has ever felt like they were getting beat down by the circumstances of life. I’m sure that most, if not all of us, could answer “yes” to that question. I know for a fact that any day or any week of the year there is a percentage of our congregation that is going through difficult circumstances or severe adversity. It often involves physical suffering, but in some cases it involves other kinds of trouble.
In light of this fact, I try to make sure I periodically bring a message of encouragement and hope, so we do not lose heart and get overcome with discouragement. The passage of Scripture that was read earlier is the reference I would like to focus our attention on this morning as we seek encouragement from the Lord for our challenges and adversities.
What does King David have to say about trouble and strife in his life? As we examine this Psalm, it appears that David presents a realistic picture of his troubles followed by an equally realistic description of his God. Then he concludes with a renewed cry for divine intervention.
I.      The true picture of troubles and adversity.
David starts out this psalm by accurately describing the situation he faces. If you notice the title given to the psalm, it says that this was a psalm he wrote when he was being pursued by his son, Absalom.
Interesting note: “Absalom” means, “father is peace.” King David no doubt gave him this name in recognition of how God was establishing his kingdom in peace and all his enemies were systematically being defeated. Ironically, now this son named in honor of peace is overseeing a campaign of intrigue and insurrection.
So David begins writing about the situation he finds himself in, and he doesn’t “pull any punches” or sugar-coat the details.
A.    His enemies are myriad.
1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me.
I’ve just recently read the account of this uprising in my personal Bible reading. It is striking to realize how murderous these people were in trying to take away the kingdom from David. Almost every king, if not everyone, would literally kill all potential rivals to the throne. (This is a practice that continues today.) So David was rightfully fearful of what might happen to him.
There are times when it seems like we are literally surrounded with trouble. It seems like every direction we turn there is suffering, heartache, trouble or conflict. We don’t accomplish anything by trying to minimize the threats or by ignoring the way things really are. The secret is, to not allow the conditions of the trouble to obscure our perception and sight of our deliverance.
B.     They expect God to abandon him.
2 Many are they who say of me, "There is no help for him in God." Selah
One writer suggested that this might have been their assumption because of David’s own sins and failures. God won’t save him, because David has had times of unfaithfulness himself. However, they do not take into consideration that God is a loving God and a forgiving God towards anyone who demonstrates an attitude of humility and repentance.
II.    A true record of God’s direct aid.
In the Present
3  But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
“for me” – lit. “about me or around me” Instead of abandoning His servant/worshiper, God actually shields him on every side from the attacks of the enemies.
“my glory” – “glory” comes from a Hebrew word that literally means “heavy” and is only used a couple of times in its literal meaning in the OT. It portrays the idea of “weightiness” and signifies worthiness, impressive or noteworthy. It seems to indicate that David admits and affirms that the only worthiness he possesses comes because of his ties to God.
“One who lifts…” – KJV, “lifter of my head.” This phrase is sometimes used in a negative sense to indicate pride and arrogance. For example: Psalm 83:2 (KJV) For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head.
However, in a more positive sense, it gives the idea of confidence and dignity. Psalm 27:6 (KJV) And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD. So David is acknowledging that, in spite of the enemies and what they think/do, God gives David the ability to hold his head up in dignity and confident in God’s provision of safety for him.
In the Past
4 I cried to the LORD with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah 5 I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
The reason David can feel confidence in the present is based on his experience of God’s faithful aid in the past. If we take the time to reflect on the past, we can recall various times when we have gone through trials and situations that seemed unbearable at the time.
There are those experiences in the past when we desperately cried out to God and He responded with help just in the “nick of time.” It hasn’t always happened just like we wish or as soon as we hoped. David experienced the same disappointments. There were times recorded in other psalms when David asked the Lord, “Why have you forsaken me?” But, he has experienced enough times when God came to his rescue, that he still has faith He will do it again.
In the Future
Because of what God is to me now, and what God has been for me in the past, I know I can trust Him to be all that I need for the future. That is one of the blessed truths the people of God know and can rely on.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me all around.
Even though the number of enemies have increased (v.1), even up to ten thousands of people, I will not resort to paralyzing fear, because I know God is real and He has the help I need.
III.   A renewed cry for divine intervention.
So, since I have confidence in God, I am going to cry out to Him for His deliverance from all my enemies now. Since He has heard my cry before, I’m going to cry out again.
7 Arise, O LORD; Save me, O my God! For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone; You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
This phrase, “Arise, O Lord” derives from an old prayer of Moses when the Ark of the Covenant was taken up to lead the people of Israel against their enemies. Numbers 10:35 (NKJV) So it was, whenever the ark set out, that Moses said: "Rise up, O LORD! Let Your enemies be scattered, And let those who hate You flee before You."
8 Salvation belongs to the LORD. Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah
Salvation = deliverance – With God alone are all resources of help, and how they shall be bestowed rests exclusively with Him. (Leupold)
Conclusion:
Based on what we have been reminded of about God, what is the appropriate response? It is appropriate for each one of us to relax and rest in the assurance that God is going to see us through the crisis. We know we can trust the Lord to be faithful to us every day that lies ahead. We can “be still and know that He is God.”
Psalm 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Let us be encouraged and uplifted with the closing song: Be Still My Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment