Friday, December 15, 2017

I've Been to Calvary



(To download an mp3 file of this message, click on the title above. To listen online, click on the play button of the audio player here.)

This is a sermon that was given during a communion service discussing the different people who are reported as being at the cross when Jesus was crucified and making applications for our own responses to His sacrifice on the cross.

Written Excerpts:

Luke 23:33 (NKJV) And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left.

Introduction:
Many of you have probably heard the song titled, “I’ve Been to Calvary.”
VERSE 1
I've never traveled far around the world
I've never seen the many thrills and sites unfurled
But I have taken the journey of journeys for me
Up Calvary's mountain there my Savior to see
VERSE 2
I walked the Calvary road where Jesus trod
I saw Him hanging there, the Son of God
With tear-stained eyes I knelt and prayed, Jesus hear my plea
Oh praise the Lord, I'm glad I've been to Calvary
CHORUS
I've been to Calvary
I can say I've seen the Lord
I've been to Calvary
Through the witness of His word
Each day at Calvary
What a thrill of love divine
Just to know that the Savior in mine
The verse I read from Luke’s Gospel uses the word “Calvary” for the place where Jesus was crucified. The other Gospel writers used the word “Golgotha” rather than “Calvary.” In any case, the place was just outside the city of Jerusalem and was the place of the crucifixion.
For just a little while this morning I want to talk about some of the people who were there at Calvary when Jesus was crucified and draw some analogies for our spiritual benefit today.
The Multitude 
Luke 23:27a (NKJV) And a great multitude of the people followed Him, 
Not much is stated about the great multitude that followed. Based on what we know about human nature, it is probable that these people were curious. We read of many occasions when the multitudes followed Jesus. Sometimes we are clearly informed that they did so because of the “loaves and fishes.”
What about your “trip” to Calvary. Have you truly worshiped the Lord or have you just been curious about Him, and interested to see what He does or what happens to Him?
I remember reading a quote from an old publication from 1886 that was put out by the Methodist movement in England. “Beware of just being friendly with Christ.”
The Women Who Mourned
Luke 23:27b (NKJV) and women who also mourned and lamented Him.  
The description given of these women would indicate that they were sympathizers and empathizers. 
Matthew 27:55-56 (NKJV) And many women who followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to Him, were there looking on from afar, 56among whom were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's sons.
Luke 8:1-3 (NKJV) Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with Him, 2and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities--Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons, 3and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others who provided for Him from their substance. 
(Tyndale New Testament Commentaries) – This is valuable as giving us one of the few glimpses we have of the way Jesus’ needs during his ministry were met… Here we learn that these women responded in love and gratitude for what Jesus had done for them (cf. Mark 15:40f.). It seems to have been not uncommon for godly women to help religious teachers….
At least some of these women there by the cross were those who had been following Him and providing support for Him and the disciples. We know for sure that one of them (Mary Magdalene) had been delivered from demons. It might be very safe to assume that each of them had some significant prior experience with Jesus. For them, I’m sure there was genuine sorrow and grief over what was transpiring.
We too, can join them in grieving over the suffering Jesus went through, but our response needs to be greater than just grief.
The Mocking Thief
Luke 23:39 (NKJV) Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us."
Some people consider the crucifixion and sneer at the very idea that the Son of God would willing die. There are plenty of people who mock the very idea that God would send His own Son into our world just to die for humanity. I read a statement recently (I’m not sure where I saw it) that some atheist was claiming that, if there was a God, He was the ultimate “child abuser” for sending His Son to die.
I would assume that most all of us here today would respond by saying, “I would never mock and make fun of Him!” I am sure that is true, but if we are not taking full advantage of the sacrifice Jesus made there that day, I think there is a sense in which we are disrespecting what He did. If we fail to surrender to the Lord and allow His precious blood to cleanse our hearts, then we are despising the price He paid for us to be redeemed.
The Repentant Thief
Luke 23:40-42 (NKJV) But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong." 42Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom."
Of all the people we know who were there at Calvary, the response of this man is the most logical response anyone can make.
Recognize my own guilt and deserving judgment.
Throw myself on the mercy of the Lord.
Conclusion:
We have observed a sampling of the people who were at Calvary, and tried to draw some applications from their examples for our lives today. After talking about the people who were there at Calvary, I want to bring the message to a close by talking about one more person that wasn’t there (at least we don’t have any record that he was). His name is: Barabbas.
I suppose it is possible that Barabbas could have been in the crowd. If we go by the description of him that is written in the Bible, it is not hard to imagine that he would also be there mocking and jeering. 
When I emphasize the possibility that he wasn’t there it is mainly in regards to the fact that he was supposed to be there, but his place was filled by the sinless and perfect Son of God. Barabbas was scheduled for execution, but the people were incited by the Jewish leaders to beg for his release and for Jesus to take his place.
Barabbas is not the only one who deserved execution. This Thanksgiving season, I am thankful that Jesus Christ took my place so I could receive forgiveness and pardon.
Before we share the emblems of Communion, let us sing together the song, “Calvary Covers It All”

No comments:

Post a Comment