Thursday, June 15, 2017

How Does One Worship? - Part 1



(To download an mp3 file of this message, click on the title above. To listen online, click on the play button of the audio player shown.)

This is the third sermon in a series of messages on the topic of worship. This message begins to discuss some of the key descriptions of authentic worship.

Written Excerpts:

Psalm 29:1-2 (NKJV) Give unto the LORD, O you mighty ones, Give unto the LORD glory and strength. Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name; Worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

John 4:23-24 (NKJV) But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
Introduction:
A few weeks ago I started a mini series of sermons on the topic of worship. I want to continue that theme today as we consider the important elements for how we should worship God.
I think I mentioned previously that I have subscribed to a daily email devotional which consists of the writings of A.W. Tozer (a former pastor and theologian in the Christian Missionary Alliance denomination). The quotations that were printed in today’s bulletin were taken from some of those emails. Here is another one that I received:
(A.W.Tozer) – … worship of the loving God is man's whole reason for existence. That is why we are born and that is why we are born again from above. That is why we were created and that is why we have been recreated. That is why there was a genesis at the beginning, and that is why there is a re-genesis, called regeneration.
That is also why there is a church. The Christian church exists to worship God first of all. Everything else must come second or third or fourth or fifth....
Some of you might be familiar with a very popular book that came out about 15 years ago written by Pastor Rick Warren. It was titled, The Purpose-Driven Life. In that book he states that our #1 purpose in life is to give God pleasure. (Rev. 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.) This is another way of saying that our #1 purpose is to worship God.
With the Lord’s help let us consider for a little while the question, “How should anyone worship God?” I think that there are numerous specific ways that we can worship God but there are a few general descriptions that I would like to focus on today.
There are at least four descriptions we must consider to worship God properly. We’re only going to discuss two of them today because of time constraints.
I.      In spirit (Jn. 4:24)
Three ways we can understand the use of the word, “spirit.”
My spirit
Rom. 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;
That part of me that is capable of communicating with spiritual beings or the “spirit world.”
In contrast to the mountain, the temple, or any other object that this Samaritan woman might be fixated upon, worshiping in spirit emphasizes spiritual worship rather than material.
Worship in the OT did involve objects (sacrifices, tabernacle, incense, etc.) but the most important part of worship has always been communicating spiritually with God. 
The Holy Spirit
Rom. 8:13-16 (NKJV) For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
God’s spirit provides divine assistance for all we do, so He would especially motivate us and assist us to worship.
Jesus said that when the Holy Spirit came He would guide us into all truth. He would be our helper, our comforter, etc. We cannot do anything without the strength and direction the Spirit gives us, let alone worship the Lord!
Spirit (life)
Jn. 6:63 (NKJV) It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
In this verse there is a close connection made between spirit and life. The word “spirit” literally means “breath” and it is the spirit of a person that gives life to the person.
If we want to describe a lively animal we sometimes say it is a “spirited horse,” or a “spirited dog”… So, I think that there is a sense in which worship in spirit means we worship with real life; not ritualistic, half-hearted, or merely formal.
We need to put our whole heart and soul into worshiping the sovereign Creator. He is worthy of our best.
II.    In truth (Jn. 4:24)
The second description we have concerning the way in which we need to worship God is provided by the word, “truth.”
One writer (Colin Kruse, Tyndale Commentary), indicates that this is speaking about the truth of God as made known by through the person and teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus said God’s Word was truth. (Jn. 17:17) To worship God in spirit and in truth means our worship must be aligned with the Word of God in a manner that is worthy of God as He is revealed in Scripture.
(Lenski New Testament Commentary) Omit the spirit, and though you have the truth, the worship becomes formalism, mere ritual observance. Omit the truth, and though the whole soul is thrown into the worship, it becomes an abomination. Thus "spirit and truth" form a unit, two halves that belong together in every act of worship.
Finally, I can’t help but believe that the word truth here also includes the idea of authenticity and integrity. In other words, my motives, my life and conduct must match my words, otherwise I’m not only living a lie, but my whole pretense of worship is a lie since I offer empty and meaningless words and phrases that do not reflect who I really am.
Quite a long time ago I read a list of hymn titles that had been altered to reflect the true way many people feel and the way they live.
I could not find a copy of it, but I made up some that are very similar.
I Surrender Some (some to Jesus I surrender, I surrender some)
We’re Limping to Zion (typical, typical Zion)
My Jesus, I Like Thee (I think thou art mine)
Our God Is an Average God (He frets from heaven above)
Fit In, Fit In for Jesus (ye admirers of the cross)
Jesus, I My Chair Have Taken (all to stay and cheer for thee)
Living for Me with a life that is smooth
These sound very silly to us, but they might more accurately reflect the true heart sentiments of some worshipers.
To worship in truth includes bringing our conduct and attitudes into agreement with our words.
How should we worship God?
By lively and spiritual communication aided by God’s Holy Spirit in agreement with God’s revelation of Himself and with integrity of our own conduct.
Let’s stand together and sing our closing song: Fairest Lord Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment