Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Prayer of a Persecuted Saint



(To download an mp3 file of this message, click on the title above. To listen now, click on the play button of the audio player shown.)

This is a message based on Psalm 86 and uses the content of King David's prayer as a guide for our prayers.

Written Excerpts:

Introduction:

The title to Psalm 86 indicates that it was written by King David. Several phrases that appear in this psalm also appear in other psalms that David wrote. One commentary author described this psalm as the “prayer of a persecuted saint,” which is the reason I have used that for the title of the sermon.
David’s prayer is relatively comprehensive as it speaks to a number of different topics in the requests that he makes. As we study this prayer of one of the greatest kings of Israel, I believe that we can see some important ingredients for prayer in our own daily experiences.
Someone has noted that this prayer contains a number of petitions that are accompanied by confessions of need as well as confessions of faith. The petitions or supplications are words that appear as imperatives or commands. They are urgent requests. Also, there are two different places in the prayer when the author interjects words of praise before continuing the requests to his God.
Let us take a look at David’s petitions, confessions and praises to find some helpful insights that could influence and improve our own prayers.
I.    Plea for God’s attention. (vv. 1, 6)
Psalm 86:1 (NKJV) 1 Bow down Your ear, O LORD, hear me; For I am poor and needy.
Psalm 86:6 (NKJV) 6 Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; And attend to the voice of my supplications.
Supplication: “Bow down; hear; give ear”
A plea for God’s direct attention.
We know from other passages of scripture that God always has His attention focused on us. He knows about every sparrow that falls and he knows the number of hairs on our heads. Yet, this prayer emphasizes the desire for God to take notice of my condition.
Confession: (of need) “I am poor and needy.”
“afflicted” and “in want, or wretched” (JFB)
“God gives grace to the humble, but He resists the proud.”
Confession: (of faith) Psalm 86:7 (KJV) In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.
II.  Plea for God’s protection. (vv. 2, 14-16)
Psalm 86:2 (KJV) Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.
Psalm 86:14-16 (KJV) O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them. 15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. 16 O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid.
Supplication: “preserve (guard); save”
v. 16 – “have mercy… give strength… and save”
Confession: “I am holy… your servant… trusting in you.”
This is not a self-righteous declaration of merit or worth.
“holy” – godly, faithful or loyal, devoted because of covenant relationship. Probably a parallel with “trusting.”
“trusting” – he has found the Lord to be dependable.
v. 15 – But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.
III. Plea for God’s mercy. (v. 3)
Psalm 86:3 (KJV) 3 Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
Supplication: Show mercy to me.
Confession: (faith) v. 3 – “I cry unto thee daily (or all day long).” An acknowledgement that he knows God is his source of forgiveness and compassion. If he didn’t have this faith, he wouldn’t bother calling on Him every day.
v. 5 – “plenteous in mercy to all who call”
IV. Plea for God’s joy (v. 4)
Psalm 86:4 (KJV) 4 Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
Supplication: Rejoice the soul of thy servant.
Confession: (faith) Unto thee I lift up my soul.
He understands that God is the source of joy; not circumstances in life. He looks to the Lord with expectation. Possibly an intentional allusion to the “wave offering” done by the priests.
Charles Spurgeon – I know that the nearer I am to thee the greater is my joy, therefore be pleased to draw me nearer while I am laboring to draw near. (The Treasury of David)
Praise: Psalm 86:8-10 (KJV) Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works. 9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name. 10 For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.
(Wesleyan Bible Commentary) The great God presented here is the reason the psalmist can pray with confidence in verses 1 through 7 and verses 13 through 17. Others may claim that their gods are supreme (86:8), but they are mistaken, for you alone are God—there is only one God (86:10).
V.  Plea for God’s instruction (v. 11a)
Psalm 86:11a (KJV) Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth….
Supplication: Teach me.
Confession: I will walk in thy truth.
Spurgeon – “…truth shall not be a mere doctrine or sentiment to me, but a matter of daily life.” (The Treasury of David)
VI. Plea for God’s Purity (v. 11b)
Psalm 86:11b (KJV) …unite my heart to fear thy name.
Supplication: Unite my heart.
The plea for an undivided heart is essentially the same as a prayer for a pure heart – a heart with no other affections or loyalties. It is a prayer for faithfulness and commitment to only one true God.
Praise: Psalm 86:12-13 (KJV) I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. 13 For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell [realm of the dead].
VII. Plea for God’s confirmation. (v. 17)
Psalm 86:17 (NKJV) Show me a sign [token] for good, That those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, Because You, LORD, have helped me and comforted me.
Supplication: Show me a token or sign.
Confession: You have helped me and comforted me.
King David not only wants some kind of confirmation from God that his prayer has been heard and will be answered, but it seems that he especially wants his enemies (and God’s enemies) to take notice as well.
Spurgeon – God doth nothing by halves, those whom he helps he also consoles, and so makes them not merely safe but joyful. This makes the foes of the righteous exceedingly displeased, but it brings to the Lord double honour. (The Treasury of David)
Conclusion:
One author described this psalm as a “patchwork of faith.” There are a number of examples in this prayer that we can follow and try to emulate in our own prayers. The most important thing is this: as we make our requests to God, do not forget to make confessions of our own need (humility), confessions of God’s greatness and goodness, as well as praises to God for all past blessings. If we will endeavor to do this, I think we will discover how that prayer can be a conversation with our heavenly Father.
In closing, let’s stand and sing an old favorite hymn of comfort and assurance.
Under His Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment